Usually, I have something to say when I legitimately turn a year older. But this time, because this birthday came with a really "out of my ordinary" circumstances, I decided to wait and watch and see what one day of being older has to teach me. Yes, I know 19 doesn't have a special charm attached to it but this year was different. I was away from home, writing an exam, and had a whole different set of people around me. And coolly enough, in 24 hours I figured out quite a few things that I've known but I've finally had the capacity to acknowledge. And cliche as it is, I have decided to populate a list of 19 things that enriched my ageing experience and proved to me that I grew and didn't just get a year older.
So here it goes, my list of 19 learnings at 19 years:
1. There is one relationship based on very little that means a lot - friendship. Its above everything. And everyone.
2. There are relationships that take a lot to make and snap with the smallest things - couples.
3. There's nothing a hug can't fix.
4. People change. You do too if someone else does.
5. Just because it didn't work for you, doesn't mean someone else doesn't have a shot.
6. There's a family everywhere you look. But its all because of that one family of yours that you can make connections wherever you go.
7. Education is a gift. The best birthday gift is knowing that there's another day/week/month/year of school or college to look forward to.
8. Thank the stars and people like Mark Zuckerberg and Eduardo Saverin etc who invented a portal like Facebook. It shows that even if out of a compulsive reminder, someone took 2 minutes out to wish you. Don't denounce it.
9. There's people who want to love you. There's people who don't. There's people who care and people who don't. Recognize the differences.
10. Loss happens. Lost opportunity, lost love, lost money. Whatever. Be glad you know what you had so you can feel its loss. Trust me, a lot of people can't.
11. Trust is the key. Enough said.
12. There's nightmarish moments you've imagined happening to you. Breaking news, they will happen. And you won't be ready. All the best for the aftermath.
13. There's things you can't control. That's a good thing.
14. If there's something you want to do, do it. There's no bigger happiness than knowing you had the agency to decide on something and actually see it through.
15. Eat all you want. As long as you're happy with it, it won't pile any weight on. And if it does, don't be afraid to say its because of food that you were happy because of.
16. If there's something you couldn't do today, hope that you can do it tomorrow. If it was worth doing, you'll get it done.
17. Everything can't be perfect. And shouldn't be. There won't be anything to want.
18. If someone says they're there for you, believe them only when you know you can make them believe you when you say it.
19. Sorry isn't a bad word. Some just don't have the nerve to say it. Just hope to God that when the time comes, you don't lose that nerve.