Knowing Me...

My photo
If I say I'm just a teenager leading a life as normal as it can get, I sort of defy what I stand for. Its not all that easy but it has its moments. I like those moments when they come along and they bring with them a significant amount of emotion, which I only began expressing in words at age 7. Since then, its all about the writing. It gets to certain people and some just don't get it! But I think that its important for me to write because that is maybe the only talent that exists in me [not denying the presence of good enough speech to win a few here and there =P] There is little I know and there is much I simply yap about but I make sure that if its really got to be said, it better be said, however in the wrong or right. I feel much. There are lot of things I plainly observe and those are sort of the things that I adore writing about. I'm inspired by minute details and small things that have a huge impact much later on. There is much more to me that most know and many have bothered not about. Not like I want them to. But I'd like to be known. And that's what I think I stand for, being known beyond what is known. =D

Friday, October 31, 2008

where is the real diwali???

this year, diwali came and went and no one had a clue of what happened. when we look back on the last week, we dont see anything beyond a few dinners or card parties or maybe a cracker or two for the sake of the festival. maybe even a mithai here and there and that concludes one of India's biggest and most awaited fests of all time. but what was the whole deal behind this?? did we not have time or did we just not care??

i am not anti any sort of stand that anyone is going to take on such an issue. because i also took a stand this time....i stood on the eco-friendly side, because i believe its complete hypocrisy to study environmental education in school and then come home and do your own little bit of distruction...

i mean, this year, diwali in mumbai was the most stone cold of all festivals....agreed diyas and crackers and rangoli were still selling on streets and people were still stuck in traffic jams but the whole lustre of diwali was lost somewhere in the pollution.... the true essence of diwali is lost somewhere....

now the big million dollar question is this - is our new cosmo and practical culture resposible for this traditional loss?? or are we just focussing on what we think are the good things in life???

one may answer this by either choosing sides, being diplomatic or just by observing silence. but deep down we all do know that we're slowly giving up on those childhood memories of running around with a laddoo in each hand or trying to be too cool by lighting a ground wheel or a rocket. i mean, how many of us did our own rangoli or enthusiastically set up the house and bought new clothes??

though we need to take care of the environment (and we will) but we must not let the festive spirit of diwali die. we may not burst fire crackers but we can still enjoy that one day with our families and friends in the best manner possible.

lets take a stand to protect the environment and protect our true culture for thats what life is all about - maintaining balances and doing the right thing....

=D

No comments: