Knowing Me...

My photo
If I say I'm just a teenager leading a life as normal as it can get, I sort of defy what I stand for. Its not all that easy but it has its moments. I like those moments when they come along and they bring with them a significant amount of emotion, which I only began expressing in words at age 7. Since then, its all about the writing. It gets to certain people and some just don't get it! But I think that its important for me to write because that is maybe the only talent that exists in me [not denying the presence of good enough speech to win a few here and there =P] There is little I know and there is much I simply yap about but I make sure that if its really got to be said, it better be said, however in the wrong or right. I feel much. There are lot of things I plainly observe and those are sort of the things that I adore writing about. I'm inspired by minute details and small things that have a huge impact much later on. There is much more to me that most know and many have bothered not about. Not like I want them to. But I'd like to be known. And that's what I think I stand for, being known beyond what is known. =D

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

the 12th of January really proved to be a landmark day for every Indian, whether in India or abroad. it was the day that an Indian based movie won four Golden Globe Awards and the first time, as far as my knowledge goes, that an Indian has been honoured with this award. the movie is Slumdog Millionaire.

little background: this is a movie by director Danny Boyle based on a book by Vikas Swarup called Q and A. the movie won four awards:
best screenplay - Simon Beaufoy
best director - Danny Boyle
best original music score - A.R. Rahman
best motion picture [drama] - Slumdog Millionaire.

now, that day was a day of national pride where a movie about our city, its people and certain elements that exist within was lauded with such a high honour. but there are people who will easily refute me on this one with the following statements:
ya right, a movie about slums, their people and conditions as a national pride?
but the movie was made by a foreign national, why even call it Indian?
why really consider any other laurel than the one given to Rahman as our own?

the answers now follow...

well, the fact that out of everything that our country is based on and exhibits proudly objects at grass root level were taken as subject of an award winning novel and then a film?? not that we must be proud of the existence of slums in our country or anywhere for that matter but it is a great feeling to know that someone voiced their concern too, even though it was through fiction and drama. they too have a life you know and its great that their lives, however turbulent and battered, have inspired such works of art.

Danny Boyle is a foreign national. agreed. but what about the fact that he had so many Indians on his cast and crew? the cast was Indian and included actors like Anil Kapoor and Irrfan Khan along with many others. the co-director is Loveleen Tandan, an Indian. even A.R.Rahman was chosen for his part, he too is Indian...so much of an Indian connection with the movie that has gained critical acclaim all over the world and we should only laud Rahman? why not the whole movie? it is a matter of great joy that our country is making advances in this field and coming out shining at the top, even if we start from the bottom!

ultimately, i'm not here to change any opinions, only here to present another. this is purely a matter of perspective and i think that if we chose the positive over the negative, we would all make progress in our fields.

=D

2 comments:

Rheaa said...

i sooo want to watch slumdog millionaire....
when's ur farwell so i'll get to see ur sari pics [is it a pink or black one? she wore many diff ones in teri ore] i'm sure u'll look fab in it <3

Aakriti Anand said...

hey, the sari is black.....
thx thx
tc