Knowing Me...

My photo
If I say I'm just a teenager leading a life as normal as it can get, I sort of defy what I stand for. Its not all that easy but it has its moments. I like those moments when they come along and they bring with them a significant amount of emotion, which I only began expressing in words at age 7. Since then, its all about the writing. It gets to certain people and some just don't get it! But I think that its important for me to write because that is maybe the only talent that exists in me [not denying the presence of good enough speech to win a few here and there =P] There is little I know and there is much I simply yap about but I make sure that if its really got to be said, it better be said, however in the wrong or right. I feel much. There are lot of things I plainly observe and those are sort of the things that I adore writing about. I'm inspired by minute details and small things that have a huge impact much later on. There is much more to me that most know and many have bothered not about. Not like I want them to. But I'd like to be known. And that's what I think I stand for, being known beyond what is known. =D

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire II

after that long debate about the movie, the motion picture released in India. in two languages. with two separate censor certificates. the hindi one being a U/A and the english version - A. and for reasons made obvious for those who see it in its true form in english.

i saw the movie. i liked it. i knew i would for one. it is a really well crafted, well edited and even better in execution. the sound was enthralling. the casting and characterization was awesome. i walked out with tears and hope. a smile at 12 midnight. but a debate took place between my parents and me. and i think it needs mention for this is purely why the movie has deserved what it has received.







"how was it?"
"nice. but you can't really agree with the others when they call it a beautiful movie. they could have used better language, better scenes, better everything. there has been much better cinema than this in India"
"i agree about the language but what is the better cinema?? running behind trees and girls in long skirts and extravagant setting??''
"no i'm not saying that but there are movies like TZP and Black and all that deserve more than they have gotten. they deserve to go to the Oscars"
"but Miracle Worker is a better work of art than Black - both on the same subject. and TZP is real and could have been an Oscar nominee but we have not seen other foreign language films also no, like Waltz With Bashir and I've Loved You So Long, which have qualified for such awards. the award guys would have seen Something in them na???"
"hmm, ya but there has been better cinema in India than this. it is more real"
"i disagree, i think the only film maker who has gotten close to real is Madhur Bhandarkar. everyone is still taking off the cream on the surface, not many really go underground, which is possibly what the audiences want to see now. people are still either on the surface or somewhere in the middle. very few have ventured below and given something different that everyone is waiting to see".....




and so it went on. its not necessary to know who won, who said what but what is essential is the realization that films like Slumdog, or any other for that matter, that show the inner realities and the so-called murky underbelly of the nation are what the audience wants to see now. when defining the word different in cinema, we ought to concentrate on works like these as example. it may not be a perfect and beautiful work of art but its brilliant in a really beautiful way. watch it to find out. i know i did...

=D

No comments: